<Operation Hot Rod: Focusing on the positive
Just living la vida loca!
........... ...........
Tuesday, June 14, 2011
Focusing on the positive
So many times I find that I get overwhelmed with life, and all I really need to do is stop and think of all the many blessings we have and then I feels so silly for my "complaint list."

Just this week we've had lots of blessings, so I've been focusing on the good things - little and big!
Here's some of my favorites so far:

- Date Night!  We had planned on attending a wedding over the weekend and had a babysitter all lined up for Asher. Through a series of very unfortunate events, the groom ended up calling off the wedding just 6  days before the big day. We are so sad for the couple, but really happy that they realized it wasn't going to work the week before the wedding rather than the week after! Since we had a babysitter lined up, we decided to take advantage of now having a free night to go on a date. This is such a rarity for us! Actually, I think that with the exception of the few opportunities we had to go out on our own when we were in Montana, we've only actually gone out without Asher ONCE since we had him, and that was when he was about 6 weeks old. We were way overdue, so it was great!

- Time with friends. Something we've been lacking in lately due to life. It was so great to spend some time with some of our favorite friends on Sunday. I'm a people person that really needs friends in my life, so it was super refreshing for me!

-  Money! I know, it's probably not good blogger etiquette to not only talk about money, but also about receiving inheritances, but I've never been one to be proper. Our lives are pretty much open books and we are not private people. Anyway, my great aunt passed away last month and left all of us great nieces and nephews (she never married or had any kids) a little bit of cash. We had been stressing a little knowing that we need to purchase a new heating system before autumn was upon us.  We REALLY wanted to keep with our "no loans except for the mortgage" commitment, but just didn't think it would be possible (because we have a boiler heating system they are way more expensive than the average forced air).  Wouldn't you know though, that the money she left us is just enough to cover the cost of our new heating system and we'll even have a little left over to buy a new front and back door, along with screen doors and have them installed, something that we also really need. Such a huge, yet unexpected blessing! I'm constantly blown away by how faithful God is to provide for our every need time and time again!

- Great neighbors! Living in a duplex is a scary thing, because the neighbors you have can really make or break your life (and affect your property value). We got some new neighbors in December and have been so fortunate to live next to such wonderful people! They're really nice and have a son the same age as Asher, so it's been great to have little afternoon playdates without really having to leave our property!

- Having a washer & dryer! Random, I know, since I truly don't remember that last time I lived without this luxury. I've been doing lots of laundry though lately and have been feeling so grateful for these modern conveniences. When we here home visiting, my grandmother told me lots of stories about what life was like for her back when she was my age, and I remember thinking that I wasn't sure how she stayed sane without having all of the conveniences that I now have. I couldn't imagine having to go to the laundromat all the time, or even better yet having to wash all of our clothes by hand. This isn't something I think about often, but definitely something random that I've been feeling grateful for lately that I know we take for granted. Weird, I know.

Anyway, that's it for now. Those are just a few of my random thoughts as I make an effort to focus on the positive. I find that when I start thinking about all the blessings in our life the lists could go on and on forever - something that can't be said about everything I would consider negative in our lives. We truly have it so good!


0 Comments: