<Operation Hot Rod: Good New, Bad News
Just living la vida loca!
........... ...........
Wednesday, May 25, 2011
Good New, Bad News
The good news is that I had my ultrasound on Friday and the baby is not nearly as huge as feared. He's a pound over average, which is nothing to be concerned about. The bad news is that I'm measuring so far ahead for an unfortunate reason. Apparently I have a condition call Polyhdramnios that affects less than 1% of pregnancies. Basically, this means that there's way to much amniotic fluid in there.
At this point, a bigger baby would be a more welcoming idea.
There could be several reasons for all this extra fluid, although most commonly it happens when the mother is diabetic or carrying twins - which neither one of those apply to me. The next most logical conclusion is normally that there's a blood incompatibility or that the baby has a defect in the central nervous system that prevents it from swallowing the amniotic fluid. Then, of course, it could all just be a for some strange unknown reason. I'm praying, that that's the case.

In any event, these next few months should be a little intense. Thankfully, my OB is still allowing us to take our trip to Montana in a few days, providing that I check in with a doctor there. Lucky for me, I have a friend there that happens to be an OB. The day after we get back I'll have to go in for another ultrasound and non-stress test and that will be my life every week until this baby comes. Lots of ultrasounds and lots of tests. Preterm labor is also a big possibility with this condition, so I'm praying that our little guy will stay in there as long as possible.

As much as I'm so bummed that all of this is happening, as weird as it sounds, I do feel a little bit of relief in knowing that I'm not quite as much of a wuss as I thought. This whole pregnancy has been so uncomfortable so far and I've had such horrible back and stomach pain these past few weeks.  The doctor said that severe back and abdominal pain normally accompanies this condition, so at least that makes me feel a little better. I also was warned that I most likely will swell up like a balloon closer towards the end, something to look forward to, right? :)

All that to say, I'm totally bummed. For some reason this is so much harder for me to swallow than it was when we were told that Asher might have down syndrome when I was pregnant with him. At least in that pregnancy, I knew there was a possibility that our son might have some developmental delays, but I didn't really ever worry much about bringing him safely into this world. I keep reading all of these things about preterm labor and stillborn babies that often comes with this condition and I can't help but lay awake at night feeling scared for our little boy in my belly. I'm just being honest with how I feel.

Still though, there is a possibility that all of this is nothing and I just have a ton of extra fluid in there. For now, that's what I remind myself and keep choosing to trust in God no matter what the outcome. Some days that's easier said than done, but I'm still digesting everything as it was only just Saturday night when  my doctor called me.

Anyway, so that's that. I've had a lot to process these last few days as I've been bombarded with information from my doctor. I'm very thankful that my new OB is so thorough and detailed with explaining everything, since I'm such a detail freak.

Sorry for all the posts lately about kids and pregnancy. That seems to be my life these days. Hopefully soon we'll be on to happier subjects than bad pregnancy news for one boy, and swallow studies for the next. Just keeping things exciting here. :)

Labels:



1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

No one blames you for being scared...you want nothing but good things for your children. I appreciate your honesty and trust that it will help someone else who is struggling with worry know that they aren't alone in what they feel.
Praying Gods protective hand over your baby and you and for peace as you wait it out. "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4:6-7)

Post a Comment

<< Home